At Westbourne School we are committed to our mission of ensuring that each and every pupil attains his or her full, individual potential. From time to time, for some pupils, this may involve additional input from staff, over and above that given in the everyday class lessons. Examples of such include:-
- Individual support from a Teaching Assistant within the classroom setting to address problems with concentration, thus enabling completion of work to the best of a child’s ability
- Small group withdrawal to focus on number skills or phonics, addressing gaps which may occur in a child’s grasp of these important basics
- Group sessions to help find a smoother path for pupils who are challenged by the social side of school life
- Specialist 1 to 1 support for children identified as having particular difficulties with Numeracy or Literacy e.g. Dyslexia
- Speech and Language interventions for children struggling with communication
- Booster classes in English and Maths for older Juniors prior to moving into Key Stage 3
Our small class sizes allow teachers to spot any potential areas of concern very quickly and these are relayed to the SENCO and Learning Support team. In partnership with parents, we are then able to discuss the individual child’s difficulties, needs and, most importantly, the best course of action through which to address them.